Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Dragon

When I started to call monitor lizard as dragon, it sound so cool. 'I am going to hunt down dragon'. No I mean shoot them with camera and study them. I am intrigue by their features and their size. I am amazed when I first saw one descending head down vertically along the Tembusu tree trunk. I search the web for their information but I did not see any anatomy drawing on the monitor lizards that are common to this part of the world. I had seen many of them at the Macritchie Reservoir park. We use to chase them around the park in mid-afternoon as they would ascend from the reservoir to take a rest from the heat, I supposed. The maximum we sighted were six in a single afternoon.
I did not have the opportunity to see them up close nor see them many time larger than their actual size. For the sake of understanding them, we made several trips to the botanic garden to track them down and observe their habit and behaviour. It was fun and exhilerating.

As we had expected, animal stay around their territory and would not wander too far away. We spotted three to four dragons (Varanus Salvator) As one ran into the bushes and we later found three of them within the wrought iron fences. One of them looked smaller than the other two. I supposed the smaller one could be their children.

Monitor Lizard Varanus Salvator
Monitor Lizard looking for prey.



Monitor Lizard Varanus Salvator

Monitor Lizard Varanus Salvator

Monitor Lizard Varanus Salvator
Add caption













No comments:

Post a Comment